2002 Museum Trust Receives Gift

The Mechanics Institute, at 33 Dimond Street, was given as a gift to Pembroke Dock Museum Trust in April 2002. The Institute had originally come into being in 1850 when two Dockyard officers used a house in Lewis Street as a centre to help the young men of the town by providing them with a social and educational meeting place. In June 1862 the foundation stone of new premises in Dimond Street was laid on a piece of land donated by the Meyrick family. For an annual subscription of six shillings per person the residents of Pembroke Dock had access to the Mechanics Institute’s billiards and reading rooms as well as its library of more than 3,500 books.

1862: The Mechanics Institute

33 Dimond Street is the grey building next door to Lloyds Bank.