Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /homepages/28/d380932067/htdocs/mrswizzud.co.uk/wp-content/plugins/q-and-a/inc/functions.php on line 252
Here’s a blast from the past for anybody looking for a winter warmer! You will need a steamer, but if necessary you can improvise that with a large saucepan and a colander, and the patience to wait for it to cook, but the result is well worth it.
225g plain flour
100g shredded suet
Water, to mix
8 to 10 bacon rashers
1 onion, chopped finely
1 pork or beef stock cube, crushed
- Mix the flour with the shredded suet and add enough water to form a soft dough
- Trim any excess fat from the bacon rashers
- Roll the pastry into a rough oblong then lay the bacon rashers all over it
- Scatter the chopped onions on top of the bacon, then sprinkle the crushed stock cube on top
- Roll the pastry lengthways into a tube, as you would a swiss roll
- Wrap the rolled pudding in foil, sealing it very carefully, and steam it for two-and-a-half hours
I serve this with some greens and carrots, but some more ambitious types tell me they like it with mash!