1814 First Houses

With the Dockyard development continuing and ships already under construction, attention turned to the provision of proper housing for the Dockyard workers. The first four buildings were erected on Front Street. These houses are still standing today. It is recorded that Mrs Thomas, the foreman shipwright’s wife, took possession of her new home on 25th September 1814. Coincidentally Front Street was at that time called Thomas Street after one of the major local landowners, Thomas Meyrick. More housing was added to Front Street during 1814 and 1815 and subsequently the town grew inland following a North/South East/West grid pattern which can still be seen in the present day.

1814: The Town's First Buildings

Front Street today.