1814 The Transfer to Paterchurch

The last Naval ship to be built in Milford, the Rochefort, was launched and the whole establishment moved to the new Dockyard at Paterchurch. The original 20 acre site had been expanded by the purchase of four fields to its east from local landowner John Meyrick in 1813. Meyrick was paid what was then the huge sum of £3,000 for his land. In addition to this 39 further acres had been transferred from the Ordnance in 1813, and finally 20 more acres had been purchased from John and Thomas Meyrick in April 1814. Work on the first ships to be built in the new Dockyard was in progress at this time.