1816 More Streets

The Front Street development, begun in 1814, extended and was followed in 1816 by Middle Street (now called King Street), where the town’s first Public House was built. Soon after, Upper Street (now called Queen Street) was started, as well as Commercial Row and Bellevue Terrace. This latter was more commonly known as Treganna’s Hill, reputedly after a Mr Tregenna who lived in a large house at the top of it. The town expanded at a rapid rate, in line with the expansion of the Dockyard. The streets followed the grid plan which had been laid down in the 1814 Order of Council, many of its streets being wide, elegant thoroughfares.

1816: More Streets

Commercial Row.