1880 The Rugby Club

It wasn’t all work! A group of Dockyard workers formed the Pembroke Dock Rugby Club, which still exists today although it has changed its name to Pembroke Dock Harlequins. In its early years the Club played its matches on the Barrack Hill. The Club benefitted from being able to recruit players from the Army regiments garrisoned in the town as well as from the Dockyard, and it had some considerable successes including winning the Pembrokeshire Championship in the 1913/14 season. The Club made its permanent headquarters at Bierspool in 1956.