1848 Close Quarters Defence

To boost the Dockyard’s protection two gun towers were built, one at the south west and one at the north east corner of the Dockyard. The towers, which are still standing, were designed to house one officer who was in charge of thirty-three artillerymen. Three thirty-two pounder cannons were mounted on the roof of each tower and a further three twelve pounder howitzers on their main level. One of the towers can be found off Front Street and the other at the end of Fort Road.

1848: Defensive Guntower

The Front Street Gun tower.