1853 Gas Lighting is introduced

The first building in Pembroke Dock to be lit by gas was a chemist shop in Meyrick Street which was owned by a Mr William Laen. Gas was introduced to Pembroke Dock by Mr John Richards, who was the sole owner of the town’s gas works for some years until he sold them to the County and General Gas Company of London. The provision of gas street lighting started with Commercial Row and Pembroke Street. Prior to the introduction of gas lighting the town was completely unlit and anybody going out and about after dark would have needed to carry a lantern.